Part-time Maintenance Loan



Students need to apply for a Maintenance Loan each year. They should apply as soon as the application service opens to make sure their student finance is ready before the start of their course.

Online application

The quickest and easiest way to apply is online at

If the student has applied for student finance from us before, they should use their existing sign in details.

When they register they’ll be given a unique Customer Reference Number and be asked to create a password and secret answer.

The first time they apply they’ll be asked for proof of their identity. They can do this by giving us their valid UK passport details on their application. If they don’t have a UK passport, they might have to send us evidence such as a non-UK passport or their UK birth or adoption certificate.

If they want to apply for student finance that depends on their household income, we’ll ask their parents or partner for their National Insurance number and their personal income details.

HM Revenue & Customs will check this information matches their records.

We may contact their parents or partner to ask for evidence of:

  • their income – if the details they give us don’t match HM Revenue & Customs’ records
  • their marital status – if they are separated or divorced

We’ll ask for these financial details every year their child or partner applies for student finance.

Downloadable application form

If a student can’t apply online, they can download a paper application form at

Students should download the application notes with the application form so they don’t miss out any important evidence or information that could delay their application.

Missing information or evidence

If we don’t have all the information or evidence we need, we’ll contact the student to remind them to give us this as soon as they can. We won’t make any payments to them until we have all the information and evidence we need.

Students can check if they need to do anything by signing in to their online account