Childcare Grant is additional income assessed funding to help students with children pay the costs of childcare during study. The grant is paid to the student, who then pays their childcare provider.
They may be eligible for help with their childcare costs if they:
- are a full-time student
- have children under 15, or under 17 if the child has special educational needs
This grant is available to full-time students studying an eligible:
- undergraduate course
- Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
The grant doesn’t usually need to be paid back unless:
- the childcare costs they estimated in their application were higher than their actual costs
- they don’t confirm their actual childcare costs when we ask them to, or
- they're overpaid due to a change in their circumstances
Income-related, unemployment and housing benefits are not affected by Childcare Grant. Students must not be in receipt of the Childcare Element of the Working Tax Credit or the Childcare Element Universal Credit at the same time as the Childcare Grant.
They must be eligible for student finance to apply for Childcare Grant.