Full-time Parents' Learning Allowance


To qualify for Parents’ Learning Allowance the student must:

  • be studying a full-time undergraduate, Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • have applied for, or be getting funding from Student Finance England that is based on their household income
  • be a permanent resident in England

Parents who live together who are both students

Parents who live together who are both students can both apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance for the same child.

Parents who live apart and are both students

If the parents are both students but don't live together they could still be eligible to each apply for Parent’s Learning Allowance, but we may need more information from them about their specific circumstances. We’d look into these applications on a case-by-case basis.