Skip to main content

Extra help for students with children or adult dependants

Extra help for students with children or adult dependants


Film description: Find out about the extra student finance you can get if you’re a full-time student with children or you have an adult who depends on you financially.


On screen: a male presenter.


If you’re a full-time student and you’ve got children or an adult who depends on you, you might be able to get extra help on top of your main student finance.


The amount you get depends on your household income and doesn’t usually need to be paid back.


You can apply for a Childcare Grant to help pay for your childcare costs for children in approved or registered childcare.


You could get up to 85% of your childcare costs, up to a maximum of £169.31 per week for one child. If you’ve got two or more children, you could get up to £290.27 per week.


If you’ve got dependent children, you can apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance to help with course-related costs such as books and travel.


You could get up to £1,716 a year, and you can get this even if you don’t pay for childcare.


If you’ve got a partner or another adult who depends on you financially, you can apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to £3,007 a year. The adult can’t be your child or a student.


You don’t need to do anything else to apply for any of these grants, you can apply for them as part of your main student finance application. How much you get will depend on your household income.


Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube channel.