Skip to main content

Evidence to support your student finance application

Evidence to support your student finance application


Film description: Find out about the types of evidence you might be asked for when you apply for student finance.


On screen: a male presenter.


If you attend uni or college and apply for student finance, you’ll probably be asked to give us some evidence to help us work out how much you can get.


It’s extremely important that you give us the information we ask for. If you don’t, we can’t process your application, which means you won’t get your money.


There are usually two types of evidence we ask for.


The first time you apply for student finance, you’ll be asked for proof of identity. By giving us your valid UK passport details when filling in your application, this means you don’t have to send us your actual passport.


If you don’t have a UK passport, we’ll ask you to send us your non-UK passport or UK birth certificate. These should be originals. We’ll return them to you as soon as possible.


In other circumstances a photocopy will be fine. For instance, if you’re applying for student finance that depends on your household income, we’ll ask your parents or partner to give us their National Insurance numbers so we can check their income. They might also need to send us photocopies of financial evidence, such as a P60 or payslips, which we’ll securely destroy once we’ve finished with them.


Remember, your application isn’t complete until we have all the information and evidence we need, so it’s important you understand what we’re asking for and send it to us as soon as possible. This will help avoid any delays to your application and also help make sure you get your money in time for starting your course.



Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube channel.