Skip to main content

Part-time Disabled Students' Allowances

Travel Allowance

What is it?

The Travel Allowance helps with any extra travel costs students may have to pay to get to their university or college because of their disability.

What the allowance is for

The allowance can be used to cover taxi fares or mileage costs to and from the student’s home address to their university or college (minus any public transport costs non-disabled students would have).

It only covers costs related to travel for study (including study abroad or on placements).

If they need to travel to their university or college in their own car because of their disability, we can pay the difference between the cost of public transport and their mileage costs.

Using taxis

If a student needs to make regular journeys by taxi, they should set up an account with a taxi company.

We’ll include information about setting up taxi accounts with the student’s DSAs entitlement letter which will be sent after their Needs Assessment.

How the Travel Allowance is paid

We’ll pay it directly to the supplier (for example, a taxi company) or straight into the student’s bank account.

Claim for Reimbursement form

Students looking for reimbursement of costs relating to their General Allowance or Travel Allowance should complete this a Claim for Reimbursement form and return it with their receipts.

Download Claim for Reimbursement form for 2018 to 2019 academic year (PDF - 52KB)

Download Claim for Reimbursement form for 2017 to 2018 academic year (PDF - 435KB)


Receipts must include:

  • the date of the journey
  • the starting address of the journey
  • the destination address
  • the price
  • the travel company’s name
  • the travel company’s registered address
  • the travel company’s telephone number