Part-time Disabled Students' Allowances

​Find out more about this product including eligibility, application and payment information.


Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) help pay for extra costs a student might have as a direct result of their disability, including a long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. They must meet the definition of a disability under the Equality Act 2010

DSAs don’t usually have to be paid back, unless the student leaves their course early.

The student may have to attend an appointment at a study needs assessment centre to talk to a specialist about what type of support would help them.

They may be able to get:

General Allowance - used to help pay other course-related costs they may have as a direct result of their disability.

Specialist Equipment Allowance - used to help buy equipment needed because of their disability.

Non-Medical Helper Allowance - used to help pay for support workers such as British Sign Language interpreters or mobility trainers.

Travel Allowance - used for any additional study-related travel costs because of their disability.