Skip to main content

Full-time Disabled Students' Allowances

Travel Allowance

What is it?

The Travel Allowance helps with any extra travel costs students may have to pay to get to their university or college because of their disability.

What the allowance is for

The allowance can be used to cover taxi fares or mileage costs to and from the student’s home address to their university or college (minus any public transport costs non-disabled students would have).

It only covers costs related to travel for study (including study abroad or on placements).

If they need to travel to their university or college in their own car because of their disability, we can pay the difference between the cost of public transport and their mileage costs.

Using taxis

If a student needs to make regular journeys by taxi, they should set up an account with a taxi company.

We’ll include information about setting up taxi accounts with the student’s DSAs entitlement letter which will be sent after their Study Needs Assessment.

How to claim

For Travel Allowance costs they should complete a Claim for Reimbursement form and return it with receipts.

Download Claim for Reimbursement form for 2018/19 academic year (PDF - 435KB)


How the Travel Allowance is paid

We’ll pay it directly to the supplier (for example, a taxi company) or straight into the student’s bank account.

Receipts must include the:

  • date of the journey
  • starting address of the journey
  • destination address
  • price
  • travel company’s name
  • travel company’s registered address
  • travel company’s telephone number