Skip to main content

Helping students in financial hardship

Exchange editorial team

Providing up-to-date information about our student finance products and services.

Publication date: 10 May 2019

If you have a student in financial hardship because they’ve previously been paid too much loan or grant and their student finance has been reduced, they should seek help as soon as possible.


We may be able to work out a more affordable way for them to pay back the amount they were overpaid.


If a student tells you that they’re in financial hardship you should download the ‘Financial Hardship Confirmation’ form and help them to fill it in. They’ll need to complete and return this as soon as possible to the address on the form. They’ll need to send some documents with the form, including bank statements for all of their bank accounts.


We look at every application on an individual basis.


We understand that this can be a difficult time for students. We want them to be reassured that we’ll assess their application for hardship within 2-3 weeks.


If they need any impartial advice, they should visit